Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What motivates me to train.....

Hello all,
I get asked this question allot , it seems to the normal person that I should be at home in bed acting as sick as I am. Especially from my DR.s. The only one that I think understands is my cardiac Dr. he's a marathon runner and understands the ...... I guess need is the word that some people have to train their body's to the limit in one sport or another.
I have been thinking for awhile about this and the only way to get it off my chest would be to make a list, so here goes the Rev's motivation list:
1. My wife. She is an amazing woman, she's had some very serious health problems since she was just a few years old. She never gives up, I have watched here barely be able to stand but have an order she needs to make for her jewelry business, she gest up and hammers it out. Like me she just clenches her jaw and powers through. All day everyday woman is a power house and the last person on this earth that you want pissed at you!!
2.Dignity: For me I refuse to let my body mind or soul dictate to me what it can or can not do. I surprise myself everyday in the things that I accomplish. I can barely walk a mile without throwing up from the pain of my destroyed feet, yet that helps me push through the pain in the gym to get that much better, 5 lbs more on the bar or 1 more rep! I take that brutal negative and turn it into a positive.
3.Truth: I always ask for it from myself and others. When I was growing up my mother worked 2 jobs and was hardly home I basically raised myself. After watching my family's hypocrisy  and being discussed by it, I made up my own rules! I turned to reading and looked for someone to model myself after. OK now everybody I have ever told the following has laughed at me but one person. He being my physcologist. I call my rule my " Conan Principles". They are the following, I do not lie,cheat, steal and I actually care about my honor. I believe in being a good person but I WILL NOT tolerate any man striking a woman in my presence. No man can do this willingly and still be a man so I take out the trash with brutal efficiency.
4.Respect: The one thing I have told my step kids over and over is how lucky WE are to live in this country. Americans are fighters, I would not disrespect all the men and woman that have fought and died so that I could have the rights WE all have today!
5.Friends: I don't have many anymore, the only true friend I have in my life is Kari my wife weather she likes it or not. My own fault. According to the shrink, its very common for chronic pain suffers. We pull back in to dark pits of depression, some live some take their lives. Oh goody another bullet put in life's gun to my head. Anyway I have been really trying in the gym to make a few friends, kinda hard when you look like you want to kill someone because you focused on training. So I am very lucky to run in to a couple of people that well I respect. I do not have the cunning or patience it takes to teach teen agers!!! Teach I bow to you and am humbled by the friendship you have shown me. You have only seen the outer edges of the dark path and you are a true light for many!
cough...cough jeez there I go getting all mushy again.............
So there you go these are the 5 things in my life that motivate me. How many can you think of??? How long has it been since you told that friend how much they mean to you?
The first steps to a brighter path is realizing the things you do have and how lucky we all are to have this incredible thing we call life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment